Dr Tara Roberts completed her PhD in 2005 at The Institute for Molecular Bioscience, University of Queensland focussing on the biology of toll-like receptor 9 (TLR9) mediated responses to CpG DNA. During her my first postdoctoral appointment she continued working on TLR9 responses and also identified the HIN-200 protein, AIM2 as a receptor and p202 as an antagonist of inflammasome activation in response to cytosolic double-stranded DNA. She was awarded an NHMRC Peter Doherty Fellowship in 2007 and moved to The Queensland Institute of Medical Research. Here she commenced work examining the role that inflammation plays in disease development and progression. The main part of this work focuses on the role that the protein SMG1 plays in regulating inflammation, stress responses and carcinogenesis. The second part involves examination of the role of inflammation in the development of the neurodegenerative disease Ataxia-Telangiectasia. In 2014 she accepted a Cancer Institute New South Wales Future Research Leader Fellowship to start work at The Ingham Institute and University of Western Sydney. This role involved the establishment of a new research group “Cancer and Inflammation”. This group utilises molecular and cellular biology techniques and analysis of animal models and patient samples to understand how certain mutations change the biology of cancer cells with the aim of exploiting these differences to improve patient treatment.
C1 - Journal Article
- Quek H; Luff J; Cheung KG; Kozlov S; Gatei M; Lee CS; Bellingham MC; Noakes PG; Lim YC; Barnett NL 2017, A rat model of ataxia-telangiectasia: evidence for a neurodegenerative phenotype, Human Molecular Genetics
- Ding PN; Roberts TL; Chua W; Becker TM; Descallar J; Yip PY; Bray VJ 2017, Clinical outcomes in patients with advanced EGFR-mutated non-small cell lung cancer in South Western Sydney Local Health District., Intern Med J
- Quek H; Lim YC; Lavin MF; Roberts TL 2017, PIKKing a way to regulate inflammation, Immunology and Cell Biology
- Quek H, Luff J, Cheung K, Kozlov S, Gatei M, Lee CS, Bellingham MC, Noakes PG, Lim YC, Barnett NL, Dingwall S, Wolvetang E, Mashimo T, Roberts TL, Lavin MF 2016, "A rat model of ataxia-telangiectasia: evidence for a neurodegenerative phenotype.", Hum Mol Genet
- Quek H, Luff J, Cheung K, Kozlov S, Gatei M, Lee CS, Bellingham MC, Noakes PG, Lim YC, Barnett NL, Dingwall S, Wolvetang E, Mashimo T, Roberts TL, Lavin MF 2016, "Rats with a missense mutation in Atm display neuroinflammation and neurodegeneration subsequent to accumulation of cytosolic DNA following unrepaired DNA damage.", J Leukoc Biol
- Wayne T. Ng, Joo-Shik Shin, Tara L. Roberts, Bin Wang, Cheok Soon Lee 2016, "Molecular interactions of polo-like kinase 1 in human cancers", Journal of Clinical Pathology, BMJ Group, U. K., vol. 69, no. 7, pp. 557-562
- Yi Chieh Lim, Tara L. Roberts, Bryan W. Day, Brett W. Stringer, Sergei Kozlov, Shazrul Fazry, Zara C. Bruce, Kathleen S. Ensbey, David G. Walker, Andrew W. Boyd, Martin F. Lavin 2014, "Increased sensitivity to ionizing radiation by targeting the homologous recombination pathway in glioma initiating cells", Molecular Oncology, Elsevier, Netherlands, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 1603-1615
- Tara Roberts, Uda Ho, John Luff, Cheok Soon Lee, Simon H. Apte, Kelli P. A. Macdonald, Liza J. Raggat, Allison R. Pettit, Carl A. Morrow, Michael J. Waters, Phil Chen, Rick G. Woods, Gethin P. Thomas, Liam St. Pierre, Camile S. Farah, Raymond A. Clarke, James A. L. Brown, Martin F. Lavin 2013, "Smg1 haploinsufficiency predisposes to tumor formation and inflammation", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, National Academy of Sciences, U.S.A., vol. 110, no. 4, pp. E285-E294
- Vitaliya Sagulenko, Sara J. Thygesen, David P. Sester, Adi Idris, Jasmyn A. Cridland, Parimala R. Vajjhala, Tara L. Roberts, Kate Schroder, James E. Vince, Justine M. Hill, John Silke, Katryn J. Stacey 2013, "AIM2 and NLRP3 inflammasomes activate both apoptotic and pyroptotic death pathways via ASC", Cell Death and Differentiation, Nature Publishing Group, U.K., vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1149-1160
- Jasmyn A. Cridland, Eva Z. Curley, Michelle N. Wykes, Kate Schroder, Matthew J. Sweet, Tara L. Roberts, Mark A. Ragan, Karin S. Kassahn, Katryn J. Stacey 2012, "The mammalian PYHIN gene family: phylogeny, evolution and expression", BMC Evolutionary Biology, BioMed Central, U.K., vol. 12, no. 140
- Yi Chieh Lim, Tara L. Roberts, Bryan W. Day, Angus Harding, Sergei Kozlov, Amanda W. Kijas, Kathleen S. Ensbey, David G. Walker, Martin F. Lavin 2012, "A role for homologous recombination and abnormal cell-cycle progression in radioresistance of glioma-initiating cells", Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, American Association for Cancer Research, U.S., vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 1863-1872
- Tara L. Roberts, Jasmyn A. Dunn, Matthew J. Sweet, David A. Hume, Katryn J. Stacey 2011, "The immunostimulatory activity of phosphorothioate CpG oligonucleotides is affected by distal sequence changes", Molecular Immunology, Pergamon Press, U.K., vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 1027-1034
- James A. L. Brown, Tara L. Roberts, Renee Richards, Rick Woods, Geoff Birrell, Yi Chieh Lim, Shigeo Ohno, Akio Yamashita, Robert T. Abraham, Nuri Gueven, Martin F. Lavin 2011, "A novel role for hSMG-1 in stress granule formation", Molecular and Cellular Biology, American Society for Microbiology, U.S., vol. 31, no. 22, pp. 4417-4429
- Tara L. Roberts, Marian L. Turner, Jasmyn A. Dunn, Petar Lenert, Ian L. Ross, Matthew J. Sweet, Katryn J. Stacey 2011, "B cells do not take up bacterial DNA: an essential role for antigen in exposure of DNA to toll-like receptor-9", Immunology and Cell Biology, Nature Publishing Group, U.K., vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 517-525
- Roberts TL; Turner ML; Dunn JA; Lenert P; Ross IL; Sweet MJ; Stacey KJ 2011, B cells do not take up bacterial DNA: An essential role for antigen in exposure of DNA to toll-like receptor-9, Immunology and Cell Biology
E1 - Conference Abstract
- 2016 superresolution light microscope for deep view functional analyses of cancer cells and their microenvironment: a springboard and partner technology for high resolution correlative microscopy studies in cancer research. ; University of New South Wales.
- 2014 Understanding the role of SMG1 as a tumour suppressor Tara Roberts; Cancer Institute NSW.